Social Gaming in Russia Still Increasing

Online gamers turn to their mobile devices, tablets, and desktops to play their favorite games but they also frequently access social media to do so.  Mail.ru and Newzoo released a new assessment of the Russian social games market that proves social games are continuing to gain serious momentum in Russia.  Newzoo looked at the most popular social networks, Odnoklassniki, Vkontakte, Moi Mir, and Facebook to analyze updates on social media online gaming.

Since 2010, the volume of social games market has grown almost five times in Russia.  Although the growth rate of 250% between 2010 and 2011 proved most impressive, the jump from $353M in 2012 to $416M in 2013 still yielded an impactful 118% increase.

In comparison with the US, China, and South Korea, Russia maintains the highest share of social gamers at 29%.  Russian social gamers that purchase their playing rights equates to 37% of that market share, which is comparable to the US market.

Interestingly, more female social gamers dominate the Russian market.  While 41% of social gamers in Russia are male, the remaining 59% of social gamers are female.  This proves similar in the US but there is a more even gender split in China and opposite gender statistics in South Korea with more male gamers.  The majority of social gamers in Russia fall between the ages of 21 to 35 years old, which also rings true in China and South Korea.

For an exclusive Yandex market research report on online gaming in Russia, click here.

Newzoo Social Gamers Market